Sunday, June 14, 2009

Stilts, golf, camp fires, Joe

This was a very dreary week. And, although I hate to complain about weather, those stratus clouds really get me down. Fortunately, the forecast for this weekend was promising (which means not a complete wash out) so I thought, let's pack up and head out of town. Our first stop was the Cabot Creamery in Cabot, VT. They were celebrating their 90th anniversary by having a dairy festival. For me, this is absolute bliss. I love all dairy products and I especially love small festivals in out-of-the-way towns. There was free Green Mountain coffee (yeah) and free Ben and Jerry's ice cream (double yeah). Music, children's games and a walking cow named Daisy. We also saw our Governor (he's everywhere) and got to say hello to our favorite Senator (Bernie Sanders). What more could you ask for? Oh yeah, there was cheese galore (but you knew that). Here is J trying out stilts for the first time. She progressed to the next level up. Next, on to Danville. Danville is a sleepy little town a few towns over from Cabot. We were camping here for the night. B's trying out the mini golf at the camp site. He got two holes in one!
J got a hole in one too.

After heading into St. Johnsbury for dinner at a diner, we went back to the camp site to toast some marshmallows. The kids like to burn theirs while I like to brown mine to perfection.


In the morning we headed into Danville for breakfast at Joe's Pond Cafe. I loved it! When you walk in, there is the store to the left and then on the right side was a counter with three local men hanging out and having breakfast. We pulled up our stools and ate alongside them. Pancakes, french toast and eggs. Yum! There was only one guy behind the counter and he did a great job. If you're ever in Danville, you should stop by! That's about all there is in Danville.
Well, there's also Joe's Pond. We hung out for a while and watched the ducks.


Then back home for a nap on the hammock. Ahhhhh.









8 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a fabulous weekend. There's a little town here in NC that reminds me of Danville. One little general store with cafe on one side/store on the other. It's a fun little place up in the mountains with a river running right through town. My kids like to burn their marshmallows too. Must be a kid thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonderful time! I love the campfire photo. I really enjoy seeing your part of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect New England dream! Oh, I am so pushing Dave (hubby) to look in New England for jobs!

    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The corn maze in Danville is fun. We were in Burlington on Saturday buying a canoe we found on Craig's List. Ended up on Church street listening to some of the Jazz Festival.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh... my three favorite things- coffee, ice cream and cheese :0)

    I'm looking forward to taking Owen to some of our little country fairs soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it sounds like your whole family went on such a wonderful adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this post! I took the liberty of linking to the Cabot facebook page - http://tinyurl.com/cabotfacebook - chekc it out! And thanks for coming!

    Wendy
    www.cabotcheese.coop

    ReplyDelete
  8. How come you find the coolest things to do here, and all we do is hang at home? In my defense, we THOUGHT about camping, checked the forecast (rain) and built a bonfire instead!

    Next time you find cheese, ice cream and music, you best be giving me a call!!!

    Great pictures! My new camera is on the way, I'm going to need some lessons.
    A

    ReplyDelete