Monday, June 1, 2009

Rock of Ages

I took the kids today to the Rock of Ages granite quarry in, where else, but Graniteville, VT. First we saw an informative movie in the visitor center and then went out to the quarry to watch the granite removal in action. Very cool. We saw them lift a huge slab of granite with a crane while we were there. We learned that the granite goes down to a depth of 10 miles underground and that it would take 4,ooo years to use up all the granite at this site. Wow. Of course, I had to get a picture but when I snapped the photo I realized that I had forgotten to put the card back in the camera after downloading pictures yesterday. Ugh. Anyway, here is the brochure and some sample granite pieces we were allowed to take home. I didn't know what to do with them so they ended up in the garden. The grey pieces are from the VT quarry, the others are from out of state.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun trip! I did the camera trick at Elizabeth's class play back in November. Doh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a cool trip! I think polished granite is so pretty :0)

    ReplyDelete